Welcome to Pokin' Holes.

This blog is all about target shooting. Nothing is more fun that pokin' holes into paper targets! I use a variety of guns for this purpose. I have air rifles, handguns, rimfire and high power rifles, and shotguns. I am not a hunter. I simply enjoy the sport of target shooting.

I have created several targets that you can print and use. They are in PDF format. NOTE: When printing, don't let your PDF viewer resize the image. This will retain the original dimensions.


Air Rifle

Pistol

Scope

I have also created a specialty target just for the AK47 and SKS rifle. This target will help you sight in your rifle at 25-yards and be dead on at 100-yards.


AK47 / SKS

Feel free to use and distribute these targets. I hope you enjoy your visit here. Feel free to comment on the articles.

Thursday, June 11, 2009

I Have A New Rifle Coming.


(Click on any image to enlarge)

I have been waiting to purchase a tactical rifle for a while. The availability has been very low. My first preference was the Kel-Tec SU-16C rifle. It is a good alternative to the $1200 AR-15 rifles on the market, but at a price of around $650 or so. The problem is trying to find one! I did see one at a gun store, but they were asking way too much for it.

I usually buy my guns from Davidson's Inc. They have an online store. When you purchase a firearm, you put a down payment and they ship it to your local gun dealer. There, you pay the rest and fill out the paperwork for the transfer. I put myself on an email notification list to let me know when the SU-16C comes in. I received an email, but when I got to the site, they were all gone.

The AK-47 rifles weren't much cheaper! They usually go for around $1000. Both the AR and AK seemed to be out of my price range...Well that's what I thought! While searching Davidson's one day I noticed something. An AK-47 in the low $600 range including tax and shipping!

The AK-47 was from a company I've never heard of before. IO Inc. is making AK-47's in Monroe, North Carolina. Yes, an AK-47 that is 100% made in America. I had to do a little research before plopping down over $600! I searched the web and found out that they have been making them for under a year. At first they had a few minor fit problems, but according to what I read, these problem were quickly resolved. I found out that IO Inc. has been making firearms for a while now and I actually spoke to someone who used to work there. He said they do good work and produce a fine product.



I really wanted to see one before ordering it blind. I called IO Inc. and they told me that there was a dealer about 45-miles away. ROAD TRIP! Hyatt Guns in Charlotte has a very good selection of firearms, but their prices are way too high. For example, the IO Inc. AK-47-C I was looking at on Davidson's for $626 was selling for $799. I talked to a very nice person on the staff and explained my problem. I showed the printout of the price from Davidson's and asked if he could get close to the price. He talked to the owner and said with tax, they could do $701. This was a difficult decision, but $75 was too much of a difference. If it had been $50, I may have taken it.

One good thing that did come out of the visit to Hyatt's. I got to see the IO Inc. AK-47-C up close and personal. I was very surprised at the quality of the rifle. I have seen many AK's and they are usualy a mixed bag of quality. Granted, all I saw before were the eastern block made rifles and although very functional, they are cosmetically lacking. The IO Inc. model really looked good!

I wasn't really in the market for an AK, but two factors made me make the leap. First, the likelyhood that I would get a Kel-Tec SU-16C for a good price in a timely manner was very slim. Second, since I have an SKS rifle, I have a lot of ammo sitting around that just screams to be fired! If I had purchased the Kel-Tec, I would have to buy a lot of new ammo.

I should have my new rifle in a week. I will post some pictures and a first impression of it after breaking it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment