Welcome to Pokin' Holes.

This blog is all about target shooting. Nothing is more fun that pokin' holes into paper targets! I use a variety of guns for this purpose. I have air rifles, handguns, rimfire and high power rifles, and shotguns. I am not a hunter. I simply enjoy the sport of target shooting.

I have created several targets that you can print and use. They are in PDF format. NOTE: When printing, don't let your PDF viewer resize the image. This will retain the original dimensions.


Air Rifle

Pistol

Scope

I have also created a specialty target just for the AK47 and SKS rifle. This target will help you sight in your rifle at 25-yards and be dead on at 100-yards.


AK47 / SKS

Feel free to use and distribute these targets. I hope you enjoy your visit here. Feel free to comment on the articles.

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Shooting The Hawk 982 Shotgun = FUN!


(Click on any image to enlarge)

I was concerned with the shooting performance when shooting a silouette target at 25-yards with my IAC Hawk 982 shotgun. The earlier post in the blog had all shots inside a respectable area, but the grouping was rather large. I felt that the shotgun was capable of better performance.

I think I was a little intimidated by the power in my first shooting session with the Remington 12-gauge rifled slugs. I fired five rounds from the standing position into a silhouette target at 25-yards. All five was in the desired locations, but the grouping was rather large.

I finally made it to the range again to see just how good the shotgun was. I wanted to eliminate as many variables as possible. I shot from a seated position while resting the shotgun on a sandbag. This will let me see just what my shotgun was capable of without many of my flaws. Here are the results:


I highlighted the holes in red. As you can see, my grouping has decreased significantly! The ghost ring/front post sight system gives you a very good sight picture and helps you concentrate on the front sight. My group is ~3-1/4", center-to-center. Not bad at 25-yards. I estimate that the ~.72-caliber 1-oz. slug is traveling around 1,500 fps (feet per second) and striking with 2,187 foot pounds of energy. This is just devastating.

I think the 12-gauge shotgun is the most versatile of all tactical weapons within 50-yards. The ammunition options are almost unlimited. You can shoot everything from regular bird shot to rifled slugs. The best two options are 00-buck for close in shots and rifled slugs out to 100-yards.

One advantage in these times when ammunition is difficult to find is 12-gauge stuff is readily available. The price is pretty good, too! I purchased a 15-round box of Remington 12-gauge lead rifled slugs for under $9.00. The way things are now with the shortage of ammunition you "buy it when you see it" because you don't know when things will return to normal. I usually buy a couple boxes of the rifled slugs when I stop by Wally World. Hard to beat the fun it gives you. See you at the range!

No comments:

Post a Comment