Welcome to Pokin' Holes.

This blog is all about target shooting. Nothing is more fun that pokin' holes into paper targets! I use a variety of guns for this purpose. I have air rifles, handguns, rimfire and high power rifles, and shotguns. I am not a hunter. I simply enjoy the sport of target shooting.

I have created several targets that you can print and use. They are in PDF format. NOTE: When printing, don't let your PDF viewer resize the image. This will retain the original dimensions.


Air Rifle

Pistol

Scope

I have also created a specialty target just for the AK47 and SKS rifle. This target will help you sight in your rifle at 25-yards and be dead on at 100-yards.


AK47 / SKS

Feel free to use and distribute these targets. I hope you enjoy your visit here. Feel free to comment on the articles.

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Paper Or Plastic?


(Click on any image to enlarge)

I'm sure you heard the question when you were buying groceries. "Paper or plastic?" I have had to make a similar decision after getting my new rifle. Instead of "paper or plastic", it was "plastic or steel". My new IO AK-47C came with a Thermold polymer magazine. Yes, it held 30-rounds, but plastic?

I made a similar decision with a recent handgun purchase. I needed a small pistol that fired a 9mm round. All that I was considering had a polymer frame. Glock long ago dismissed the taboo about "plastic" guns when they introduced the Glock 17. I settled on the Kel-Tec PF-9 and have not regretted the decision. The PF-9 has a polymer frame. Like most polymer frame pistols, the PF-9's slide rides on metal rails.

After receiving the IO AK-47C, I experienced problems with the Thermold magazine. It wouldn't stay in the rifle! That is a problem that just can't be ignored. I liked the idea of a lighter weight magazine. I started doing an internet search for a replacement. I found a good deal on a Tapco 30-round AK-47 magazine so I gave it a try.

The Tapco magazine was leaps-and-bounds better than the Thermold. The plastic seemed denser and stronger. The fit was very good. But, still, I noticed some plastic shavings off of the areas where the magazine enters the magazine well. This just made me feel skiddish about "plastic". What to do now?

I thought I would "kick it old school" and try the reliable Eastern block manufacture steel AK-47 magazine. I found a great deal on surplus Romanian magazines. I ordered a couple from AIM for about $11 each. These magazines were stored in heavy grease. The first task was to disassemble them and give them a good cleaning. I degreased them and gave them a good coating of Break Free CLP.



(From left to right: Thermold, Tapco, and Romanian)

I guess you just can't mess with near perfection. The Romanian steel magazines just fit and function perfectly. Now why would anyone want polymer? One word...Weight. The polymer magazines are lighter than steel. Here are the weights of the three magazines I have:

  • Thermold 4.7-oz.
  • Tapco 7.3-oz.
  • Romanian 11.5-oz.

All weights are of the unloaded magazine. The weight of the Tapco over the Thermold confirms my first impressions. The polymer is denser and firmer. I guess if I had to hump 10 magazines around all the time, the weight might be important, but for my sport shooting, it just doesn't matter.

So the question of "polymer or steel?" For magazines, I will choose steel. Sometimes going the old way is the best way!

No comments:

Post a Comment