Welcome to Pokin' Holes.

This blog is all about target shooting. Nothing is more fun that pokin' holes into paper targets! I use a variety of guns for this purpose. I have air rifles, handguns, rimfire and high power rifles, and shotguns. I am not a hunter. I simply enjoy the sport of target shooting.

I have created several targets that you can print and use. They are in PDF format. NOTE: When printing, don't let your PDF viewer resize the image. This will retain the original dimensions.


Air Rifle

Pistol

Scope

I have also created a specialty target just for the AK47 and SKS rifle. This target will help you sight in your rifle at 25-yards and be dead on at 100-yards.


AK47 / SKS

Feel free to use and distribute these targets. I hope you enjoy your visit here. Feel free to comment on the articles.

Sunday, June 14, 2009

IO AK-47C: Mixed Results


UPDATE: A complete UPDATED review of the IO AK47-C can be found here.
(Click on any image to enlarge)

I went out today to fire my new IO AK-47C. Before going, I cleaned the rifle thoroughly. I don't like firing a weapon with the factory lubricant on it. I pulled out my cleaning kit and Break-Free CLP. Now I can give the rifle a good test.

I loaded-up the 30-round polymer magazine. I have never used polymer magazines before and wondered how well it would perform. I soon found out. After two rounds the magazine dropped from the magazine well. If you are familiar with an AK-47 you know that accidentally actuating the magazine release is almost impossible! I brushed the dirt off and rocked it back into place. The next shot it fell out again! I hope this is not indicative of all polymer magazines. The Thermold AK-47 magazine just doesn't cut it!


Since I only had the magazine that came with the rifle, I had to resort to using an AK-47 in single shot mode. I would hold the bolt open and shove a round into the chamber. The rifle functioned very well. The accuracy was decent and just fun to fire. The rifle worked great. I wish I could say the same for the magazine.

I did two things when I got home. I sent an email to IO Inc. and ordered two 30-round metal magazines. One good thing about AK magazines. They are plentiful and cheap!

After venting to IO inc. about the magazine, I cleaned the rifle. The first thing I noticed was how clean the receiver was. I have fired many semi-automatic rifles including the SKS and have never seen a receiver this clean after a shooting session. This must be because of the locking bolt and gas piston system. Both keeps a great deal of the gases out of the receiver. Take down and cleaning an AK-47 is very simple. To my surprise it was nothing like the SKS that I own. At first glance, you would think that the AK-47 and the SKS are of similar design. No, they are not. The SKS is not a locking bolt system and gets much more dirty in the receiver than the AK-47. I can see why the AK-47 has its reputation for reliability...If they are using metal magazines!

When I get my metal magazines I will go out and try again. I just found a source of inexpensive 7.62 x 39mm ammo. That's great because I was getting real tired of paying $0.75 a round!

3 comments:

  1. Have you had a chance to shoot with the metal clips if so how did it work? Also where did you find the cheep amo. You can email me at kerstingm@email.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The surplus metal magazines work great! The only problem is that they are heavy. Four Tapco magazines weigh 1-pound less than four steel magazines. Ammo...The Wolf ammo is pretty cheap. I usually get it from my local gun dealer, but, you should be able to find it just about anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheap Ammo,
    Cheaper Than Dirt.com Wolf 7.62x39 $3.59 a box of 20. $179.00 a case (1000 rds).
    Hard to beat.
    Bikerbob

    ReplyDelete