Welcome to Pokin' Holes.

This blog is all about target shooting. Nothing is more fun that pokin' holes into paper targets! I use a variety of guns for this purpose. I have air rifles, handguns, rimfire and high power rifles, and shotguns. I am not a hunter. I simply enjoy the sport of target shooting.

I have created several targets that you can print and use. They are in PDF format. NOTE: When printing, don't let your PDF viewer resize the image. This will retain the original dimensions.


Air Rifle

Pistol

Scope

I have also created a specialty target just for the AK47 and SKS rifle. This target will help you sight in your rifle at 25-yards and be dead on at 100-yards.


AK47 / SKS

Feel free to use and distribute these targets. I hope you enjoy your visit here. Feel free to comment on the articles.

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Taurus PT-22 magazine modification

(Click on any image to enlarge)

I have had a Taurus PT-22 “pocket pistol” for many years.  It has served me well, but I have noticed a certain “quark” that I have finally fixed.

The factory magazine for the PT-22 has a finger grip extension.  For those with smaller hands, I guess this would work well, but, my pinky finger puts pressure on it skewing the alignment ever so slightly.  This sometimes causes misfeeds.  To solve this problem I would drop my pinky finger below the extension relieving the pressure.   I was afraid that if I ever had to use the pistol for its intended purpose, I may be under enough stress to forget this “solution”. 

Taurus-PT-22-002

The picture above depicts the Taurus PT-22 and magazine as it originally came from the factory with the exception of the fine Pearce wrap-around rubber grip.  Notice the grip extension on the bottom of the magazine.  I never did like it.  Now I have solved the problem.

Use an Allen wrench or punch to disassemble the magazine.  I think most of you know how to do this so I will not go into great detail.

Taurus-PT-22-Mag-003

Use caution when removing the floor plate from the magazine.  The spring will shoot across the room if you don’t retain it with you finger.  You now have the magazine disassembled enough to make this minor modification.

Taurus-PT-22-Mag-004

Take a flat head screwdriver to remove the screw holding the plastic magazine extension to the metal floor plate.  Now separate the floor plate from the magazine extension.  Keep the screw and magazine extension as you may want to put it back the way it was later.

Taurus-PT-22-Mag-Ext-005

Now reassemble the magazine.  There will be a “dimple” protruding from the bottom of the metal floor plate that is only cosmetic and causes no functioning problems.  Here is the finished project.

Taurus-PT-22-007

Taurus-PT-22-008

The removal of the magazine extension makes the gun more comfortable for me.  The overall size is reduced, a little, which only helps it to be a more effective concealed-carry weapon.

I really enjoy the Taurus PT-22 pistol.  It makes a good “summer” carry gun.  Some think that .22 LR rounds are underpowered.  They are right!  Most pistol ammunition are underpowered.  This pocket rocket is very accurate up to 7-yards.  I can routinely get all nine rounds in a 3-inch group at 7-yards.  And this is handheld and semi-rapid firing.  I feel safe with my little friend!

9 comments:

  1. Heh. I'm looking for these base plates to put on my beretta 21a--I hear they fit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Great article on mag mod but I found I liked the mag extension, fits my hand better. My magazine ears that holds the bullets in would catch under the slide when mag was pushed up from the bottom a tad and caused jams so I modified the top of the earss by taking some metal off until it no longer catches the slide. Then I smoothed and reshaped the ears until the bullets fed good.I probably removed around 1/32" to get it to where it didn't catch the slide when bottom of mag was pushed up. I also carefully polished the breech a bit with a small fiber cone shaped wheelon my Dremel to break the sharp edge where the bullet enters, caused some jams where the bullet dug into the sharp edge,This eliminated those problems.Now the gun feeds great with no jams. Now I am able to leave the mag extension on and pushing up on the bottom causes no problems. I use the 22LR CCI Mini-Mags.The work I did on the mag and breech is an extreme risky modification and will probably cause you to lose your warranty on this pistol. If you don't mind paying the cost of shipping for warranty work (pricey), better to just send it back to factory but I like to play with my toys. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unlike, and contrary to, Pokin' Holes, I wanted a longer extension for my PT22 mag so that my pinky finger wasn't hanging off in Space. I bought a Pearce mag extension for the Beretta Bobcat and modified it just a little with a Dremel tool. Having followed the instructions above I then took a sheet metal screw and attached the extension to the bottom plate of the mag. I did, also, put a little Super Glue there 'cause I believe in Mike Holmes's adage, i.e., "glue it and screw it". The extension fits perfectly, looks like it's part of the gun from the factory, and my pinky finger now feels comfy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops...I made an error on the above PT22 grip extension discussion. The Pearce Grips product I bought was for the Beretta Tomcat, not the Bobcat.

    Sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mesmerized article written on this blog with other relevant information. It is straight to the point that how we can improve our skills as well as how we can be represented to a new stream of professionalism.
    เสาเข็มไอ

    ReplyDelete
  6. I welcome all the suggestion mentioned in this blog related to new learning skills. It is definitely going to help me to adopt new exited way of learning. I think, others will also feel helpful this blog for their needs.
    รับ ป ริ้น สติ๊กเกอร์

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own BlogEngine blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it.
    Divergence ขาขึ้นa

    ReplyDelete
  8. The best article I came across a number of years, write something about it on this page. Taurus

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very appealing, however , it is very important that will mouse click on the connection: Taurus

    ReplyDelete