Welcome to Pokin' Holes.

This blog is all about target shooting. Nothing is more fun that pokin' holes into paper targets! I use a variety of guns for this purpose. I have air rifles, handguns, rimfire and high power rifles, and shotguns. I am not a hunter. I simply enjoy the sport of target shooting.

I have created several targets that you can print and use. They are in PDF format. NOTE: When printing, don't let your PDF viewer resize the image. This will retain the original dimensions.


Air Rifle

Pistol

Scope

I have also created a specialty target just for the AK47 and SKS rifle. This target will help you sight in your rifle at 25-yards and be dead on at 100-yards.


AK47 / SKS

Feel free to use and distribute these targets. I hope you enjoy your visit here. Feel free to comment on the articles.

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Beretta U22 Neos shooting session

blank-1x1-transparant

pistol-thumb I went out Saturday with my “newest, new” Beretta U22 Neos.  I call it that because it is the second new one I have had.  As written in previous posts, I purchased the U22 and had a small problem right out of the box.  The rear sight would not adjust.  I hesitated sending it back to Davidson’s because it shot so darn well!  I wondered if the replacement would shot like the first.

Beretta-U22-Neos

Beretta U22 Neos .22LR Target Pistol

I don’t think it’s luck.  I think Beretta has made a near perfect .22-target pistol.  The second one shoots just as good as the first.  I have owned and do own .22LR semi-automatic pistols.  I have read many reviews of such and there is always one reoccurring theme.  They can be picky about the ammo you feed it!.  I used to own a Ruger Mark II pistol.  I loved the gun and kick myself for selling it.  It was very accurate, but, you had to feed it a particular brand and type of ammo to get consistent feeding.  Even so, there was an occasional hiccup.  The same can be said about the Taurus PT22 I have.  If I try to feed it anything other than CCI Mini-mags, it will not feed well.

The Beretta U22 Neos breaks the mold!  I have fed it several types of ammo.  I have fired over 500-rounds through two different pistols without even one malfunction!  Beretta has got it right.

My older eyes don’t get along with iron sights.  I usually try to add a red-dot scope to the firearm if possible.  But, I wanted to give the U22’s iron sights a try.  I did much better than I thought I would!  Here is an example:

20091024-22LR-BERU22NEOS-CCI-RNCP-40GR-7yrds-424X417

Five rounds from a Beretta U22 using iron sites at 7-yards.

Not bad!  The U22 has a Weaver-type rail system so why not add a red-dot scope?

I added my cheap red-dot scope I have used on other guns.  It’s is no where near the quality of a EOtech or AimPoint, but, it serves my purposes.  Here are the results using the red-dot scope:

20091024-22LR-BERU22NEOS-CCI-RNCP-40GR-7yrds-424X419-2

Three rounds from a Beretta U22 using a red-dot at 15-yards.

WOW!  I doubled the distance and reduced the pattern by half. 

I just love my new Beretta U22 Neos.  It is fun and inexpensive to shoot.  I can see that if you used a 4-power scope, you could make decent shots at 50-yards and beyond.  I will be on the lookout for such a scope. 

If you are in the market for a .22LR target pistol, consider the U22.  It sells for around $250.  I would highly recommend getting it through Gallery of Guns.  They can ship it to your local FFL dealer and you will have the “lifetime replacement guarantee”.

8 comments:

  1. I bought the U22, but have had nothing but problems. The top side developed a problem as a lip developed preventing the slide to properly close. Had to remove it with a mini-grinder. My biggest problem however is only being able to shoot the Mini-Mags, nothing else works. When I try Remington or other brands, I get jams about every 4 to 10 shots. I have put over 1000 rounds thhough the gun so it has to be broken in. I also bought the carbine kit, same thing so it has to be the gun itself. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd sure like to know what the fix is. I would like to buy in bulk and save more, but having to use the mini-mags cost a lot more. Walmart has bulk 22LR, 530 to a box for $16.99 when Mini-Mags cost $7.99 per 100.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Relichunter...Sad to hear of the problems with your Beretta. Sounds like you got a lemon. Mine will shoot any .22 LR ammo I load into it. I know it will not help you now, but next time, purchase your guns from Gallery Of Guns. They have a lifetime warranty. They usually just send you a new gun if you have problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just fired off a fax to Beretta about the jam problem, hope to hear from them. Question: Why is CCI Mini-Mag so different then say Remington or other companies? I don't have hangs/jams with CCI but all other ammo is a problem. They are all using 40 grain, whats the difference?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has been my experience that CCI Mini-mags ARE the best .22 LR around. You can SEE the difference. Just stand one up next to ANY other .22 LR cartridge. The first thing I notice is the bullet itself. The bullet is copper coated and is VERY uniform from top to bottom. Look at where it is crimped to the brass. It is VERY clean there. I think the primer used on CCI's are outstanding. I don't get any missfires like the bulk packed ammo. A lot of times, you can see the primer strike, but the round didn't go bang! I thinks this is a primer issue. As you have already pointed out..You PAY for the CCI's!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I did send that fax, I have shot another 300 rounds, all CCI's and not one jam. When i pointed this out to the store owner yesterday, he said that's why he recommends CCI over any other brand on the market. Guess I'll have to stick with the good ones. Maybe Beretta will say something different, but for now, that's what I'll shoot. Forgot to mention, I also bought the Carbine kit for the U22, man is that sweet. Fantastic grouping although I am using a BSA Red Dot as I can't see s... with open sights any longer. Have a PMRS dot on the pistol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It has been my experience that if a gun works better as the ammunition gets more powerful (such as if it really only works well with CCI Mini Magss), the problem is usually with the slide not sliding as well as it should. Make sure that there are no rough spots or maching marks that might interfere with smooth operation of the slide. Using a quality gun grease, sparingly, instead of oil on the slide can also help.

    Have you tried other high power 22 rounds, such as the Aguila Interceptor?

    A friend of mine could only get reliable functioning in his Walther P22 if he used hyper velocity rounds. He took it apart, gave it a very thorough cleaning and oiled it in all the appropriate places and put a light amount of Tetra Grease on the slide. Now he can consistently use any standard- or high-velocity ammo in it. The only ones that cause jams after doing that are the subsonic ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Got the U22 back from Beretta in only 5 days, works perfect now. Theye said they were a couple of parts missing??? While it was away, I made a new grip molded for my hand. Not sure if I can publish pics here, but I'd be willing to bet it's the only one out there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. potent devices, but run more than $1000 for the simple designs. They're produced to scrub much more than just carpets, and make good, sizzling steam. In case you want power and so they suit inside your budget, you might want to seem into a single.Many people will not likely want much more than a Bissell or a Hoover steam cleaning vacuum to the carpets in their properties. They're fairly excellent at cleansing carpets and extracting the filthy drinking water. They function very similar to an upright vacuum, with a handful of added methods to correctly http://www.myobdscanner.com/spx-autoboss-series/autoboss-v30-scanner thoroughly clean your carpets and extract the soiled h2o while you http://www.myobdscanner.com/spx-autoboss-series/autoboss-v30-scanner go.A good carpet steam cleaning vacuum utilizes hot drinking water and carpet shampoo to wash your carpets, scrubbing it with brushes to operate the h2o and detergent in the fibers, then extracting the h2o and so the carpet is not still left so soaked that you will develop a mildew dilemma or need to wait for days for that carpet to dry. Hoover typically has scrubbing brushes that face down to the

    ReplyDelete