Welcome to Pokin' Holes.

This blog is all about target shooting. Nothing is more fun that pokin' holes into paper targets! I use a variety of guns for this purpose. I have air rifles, handguns, rimfire and high power rifles, and shotguns. I am not a hunter. I simply enjoy the sport of target shooting.

I have created several targets that you can print and use. They are in PDF format. NOTE: When printing, don't let your PDF viewer resize the image. This will retain the original dimensions.


Air Rifle

Pistol

Scope

I have also created a specialty target just for the AK47 and SKS rifle. This target will help you sight in your rifle at 25-yards and be dead on at 100-yards.


AK47 / SKS

Feel free to use and distribute these targets. I hope you enjoy your visit here. Feel free to comment on the articles.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

I’ve been busy at the range.

blank-1x1-transparant

scope-thumb

I had the urge to lighten my ammo boxes.  The best way to do it is to shoot some targets!  Over the past few weeks I did just that.  Here are some of the results.

I have been having a lot of fun with my new Ruger 10/22.  I converted it to a “Ruger Taptical 22” using the Tapco 10/22 Intrafuse stock and a few other goodies.  This has transformed it into a great little shooter.  I will do a review on it in the near future.  Until then, here are a few targets.

20091227-001-R1022 (2)

Ruger Taptical 22 – 25-Yards – 4x Scope

(Click for full size target)

I was using a 2x-6x variable scope.  I bought it many years ago for my SKS, but, never used it.  It is a compact scope and looks good on the Ruger.  The black circle is 1-inch in diameter.  This is just about a 1/2-inch group.  This is the final group after adjusting the scope.  Wow, I am very happy with that.

20100116-002-R1022-10YRDS (2)

Ruger Taptical 22 – 10-Yards – 2x Scope

(Click for full size target)

Next, I set the target at 10-yards and used the steel lip version of the Butler Creek 25-round magazines.  I was shooting semi-rapid fire.  I fired just under a second per round.  A good substitute for a red-dot scope is a low power scope.  I set the variable scope to 2x.  You don’t have the low light capabilities of a red-dot, but, it is just about as quick to acquire the target.  With a few exceptions, the 25-rounds made a one hole group.  I love this rifle!

I had some 9mm ammo screaming to fly so I brought out the Taurus 92SS pistol.  This is a sweet shooting handgun.  I had a Beretta 92F several years ago, but, I like the Taurus better.  One reason is the Taurus has the safety on the frame, not the slide.  It just feels more natural there.

20100116-001-T92

 Taurus 92SS – 7-Yards – 5-Shot group

(Click for full size target)

The Taurus 92SS is a double-action pistol.  The first pull of the trigger is heavy and subsequent trigger pulls are single action.  The first shot on this target landed low-left.  This is typical for me with a double action trigger.  The rest are in the 9 and 10 ring.  By the way…If you need a magazine for your Taurus 92, buy the Mec-Gar magazines.  They are the best!

Finally, I had to shoot my IO AK47-C rifle.  I decided to use the iron sights and went to Shooters Express to adjust the front sight.

20100102-001-IOAK (2)

IO AK47-C – 25-Yards – Iron sights

(Click for full size target)

I recently shot the AK with iron sights at 100-yards with fantastic results.  More on that later.  The IO AK keeps impressing me.

I hope you enjoyed sharing my target shooting activities.  I have several projects in the works and will document them later.  Until then…Lock and load!

No comments:

Post a Comment