Welcome to Pokin' Holes.

This blog is all about target shooting. Nothing is more fun that pokin' holes into paper targets! I use a variety of guns for this purpose. I have air rifles, handguns, rimfire and high power rifles, and shotguns. I am not a hunter. I simply enjoy the sport of target shooting.

I have created several targets that you can print and use. They are in PDF format. NOTE: When printing, don't let your PDF viewer resize the image. This will retain the original dimensions.


Air Rifle

Pistol

Scope

I have also created a specialty target just for the AK47 and SKS rifle. This target will help you sight in your rifle at 25-yards and be dead on at 100-yards.


AK47 / SKS

Feel free to use and distribute these targets. I hope you enjoy your visit here. Feel free to comment on the articles.

Monday, January 18, 2010

‘Weapon Shield’: The new standard in firearms cleaning.

blank-1x1-transparant

Steel-Shield-Logo

If you shoot often you also clean your firearms often.  There are many fine products out there, but, wouldn’t you like to have just one do it all?  I think I have finally found that one.  Weapon Shield by Steel Shield Technologies is that one.

Cleaning products for firearms are plentiful.  Knowing which ones to use is often a matter of opinion.  In recent years synthetics have come to the fore front of firearms cleaning and protection.  The advantage of synthetic lubricants is that they can withstand higher temperatures, don’t evaporate like petroleum based products, and don’t attract dust like regular gun oil does.  The obvious choice was Break Free CLP.

Break Free CLP is a fine product and does the job well.  I have used it for quite a while, but, have always been concerned about two things.  First, it does clean the bore, but, not as well as a dedicated product like Hoppe’s No. 9 solvent.  Second, Break Free CLP contains solvents and you need to take some precautions with ventilation when using it.  Consequently, I used both Hoppe’s No. 9 solvent and Break Free CLP to effectively clean my firearms.  This worked well, but, I still wanted a single product to do it all.

I was watching a YouTube video by Nuntnfancy, Gunsmithing the 1911:  Trigger Job by “Terry G”.  In this series of videos, Terry Gardner of Impact Guns tunes-up a model 1911 Taurus and uses a new lubricant…Weapon Shield.  He spoke highly of it, so, I thought I would give it a try.

I was placing an order with Midway USA and saw that they had Weapons Shield.  The price was right, $8.79, so I ordered the 4-oz. bottle.  When it arrived, I noticed the the information of the bottle said Weapon Shield contains no solvents and was non-toxic.  I must admit, the first thoughts after reading this was, “this will not clean a gun”.  But after using it on my new Ruger 10/22 Tapco Tactical rifle (review coming), I was sold!  Weapon Shield pulled all the gunk and grime out of the barrel.  There was no harsh smell while using Weapon Shield.  This cleaner/lubricant/protectant has considerable viscosity.  It wouldn’t just run off during storage.  Since Weapon Shield is a synthetic, there was very little dust attraction like with petroleum products.

Weapon-Shield I looked up the material safety data sheet for Weapon Shield and it confirms that no solvents are used, it is not flammable under normal conditions, and is non-toxic.  None of this would be important if it didn’t work, but, it does work…And works well!

I think I have found the perfect weapon cleaner.  Steel Shield Technologies has a real winner.  I recommend that you give it a try.  I don’t think you will be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment